Friday, November 12, 2010

Old Romance Novel - BlogHop Saturday

A recent biography by Forster
 Each Saturday, Southern Lady's Vintage has a BlogHop which features a theme which was voted on by her readers the previous week.  I just discovered her a couple of weeks ago, and have been participating.  Its been great fun.  This week Southern Lady's Saturday BlogHop is featuring Vintage Youth and Young Adult Novels for the week.  Now, I have no vintage novels hanging around on my bookshelves to show and tell, so I'm just going to share one of my favorite books from my youth.  Not to worry, it's a definite romance, but not a novel.  It's out of print, now, but it was "The Life of Elizabeth Barrett Browning" by Gardner B. Taplin, published in 1957. 

Now, I wasn't a prude, I read plenty of "True Romance" magazines that my best friend bought regularly, but my folks wouldn't have approved had they known.  However, we were assigned mandatory reading of biographies in Junior High, and I read plenty of them.  The first one I read was about this wonderful poet, Elizabeth Barrett, who created her masterpieces in the mid 1800s.  Miss Barrett was full of love sonnets before and after she met and fell in love with Robert Browning....truly a true romance, and captured my imagination.  Have any of you happened upon her life story, too?

7 comments:

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Good morning Karen!! Thanks so much for joining in!!

Antiques Galore Gal said...

I enjoyed reading your post! Too bad such classics are out of print now.

Flamingo K (aka Karen Schurr) said...

Yeah, it is. I wonder how it compares to what Ms. Forster wrote about her life. You know, I remember groaning about having to read biographies in school that year, but it was the best thing. I picked up this book and begrudgingly started to read it, and got hooked on how lonely she was and how she coped. She wrote some really touching poems. After I finished, the next book I read was about Geronimo, then I read about Sam Houston and Jim Bowie. I don't remember the others, but these certainly made a big impression.

ThreeOldKeys said...

I never read this book, but I sure did like biographies as a kid. We had a series of short bios in 3rd grade and I think I read every one. It really opened up the world, more than the Bobbsey Twins or, later, Nancy Drew, etc.

It's my first time at your blog -- I'll check out your shops too!

Flamingo K (aka Karen Schurr) said...

I'm so glad you stopped by everyone. It's great to learn a little bit more about each other this way.

Melody said...

My fav was Carl Sanburg's Lincoln. I read that my Freshman year of HS. I read all I could find on him.

Flamingo K (aka Karen Schurr) said...

I didn't read that one, but I do enjoy Sanburg's work...wish I could remember the titles, but they escape me now. Thanks for stoppling by, Melody.